Monday 17 November 2014

Benguela for work

I often go to Benguela and Lobito for work, though during the summer season, the weekend there is always great. I consider it Angola's Paradise.
It's located 600 km south of Luanda and its beaches are amazing: Restinga do Lobito; BaĆ­a Azul; Caota and Caotinha; Among others. The weather is fine and you feel safe enough to run around these two cities (separated by 26 km) without paying much attention to your wallet and/or cellular phone.
I'm now living in Luanda (still) and it takes 45 minutes by plane or a 6 hour drive.

17Nov2014
The alarm clock woke me up at 5 a.m. Too early because the flight was only at 10 a.m. Still, Luanda's traffic makes it impossible to do otherwise.
I drove half way where I caught my driver who got me to the airport.
Luanda's domestic airport works fine. I've been there often and the only thing you should be worried about is not knowing if, for some reason, the flight will be postponed for later in the day, or even cancelled. It has happened to me before.
This time I've decided not to print the ticket, as I've been told that it would be enough to present it on your cellular phone.
Well, in fact, passing through the security guys, they've found it interesting, to say the least, why I was showing them my phone instead of my printed ticket. Then, after a few seconds of surprise, they let me pass by screaming out loud: Now everything is electronic, even the security measures will be replaced by electronic things... I just smiled.
I proceeded happily to the check-in area. Everything seemed fine. But, as I got to the first counter, someone from the airline (Sonair) interrupted me to say I had to have my ticket on paper. It was my turn to be surprised (not really, I knew it'd be to good to be true). I tried to convince the man that all I needed was my passport, but he warned me that without the print of the ticket, customs wouldn't let me pass and I had to go to the airline shop to ask for it.
I decided to comply, this is Africa and you don't want to complain too much, you'll never be right.
Having the ticket on my hand, everything went perfect. Well, apart from the short delay on the flight.

I got to my destiny at 11 a.m. Hotel Praia Morena, a very good 3*** Hotel in the city of Benguela (where 4**** are still to appear). The service is good, according to the standards of this area of the world, and the facilities include a swimming pool, very nice restaurant (both visually and in terms of quality food) esplanade, spa, gym, haidresser and a few clothing shops. They also promote the sale of handicraft made by local craftsmen.
This hotel is tipical for businessmen and women to stay during the week and for tourists to appreciate the area on the weekends.
No play for me this time, I came here to work.


PS: On two way streets, avoid parking facing the wrong side, meaning, parking on the left hand side...I just got a ticket. 320USD!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment